- Steps for Preparation and Schedule for Rehoming/Customer Expectations for Rehoming
- Day of whelping
- Litter Registration with AKC
- Meeting with new families/applicants with litter/puppies
- Signing application/holding deposit/ reservation fee
- Updating/keeping contact with new owners with information/photos
- After 6 weeks – a full medical exam and all required vaccines – plus deworming
- Preparation of documents for rehoming
- Schedule your visit time for pick up of your new puppy
Q: How long are puppies held after whelping?
A: According to AKC regulations and other institutions, we hold the puppies for 8 weeks after the day they are whelped.
Q: After whelping, how soon do the puppies get shots and how many sets?
- 6-8 Weeks dhpp shots (This is our responsibility. We provide a full medical checkup with deworming.)
- 10-12 Weeks dhpp shots (Your responsibility and cont.)
- 14-16 Weeks dhpp/RV#1 shots
- 1 Yr. 3-4 Mo. RV#2 shot (We also recommend deworming around this time)
- 2 Yr. 3-4 Mo. RV#3 shot (We also recommend deworming around this time)
(A veterinary schedule with dates stating the required vaccinations that are needed next for the dog will be given to you after your first visit to the Vet as an owner.)
Q: Will you hold my puppy longer than 8 weeks?
A: Yes, we will provide extra care for the puppy if the owner needs more time but this will cost more.
Q: What supplies will we need for our new puppy?
- Crate (You will want a sizable one)
- Dog Bed/Cozy Rug (Optional)
- Collar & Leash
- ID Tag
- Food & Water Bowls
- Toys (They love to play and have fun!)
- Chewies (They are great for maintaining dental health)
- Dog Biscuits (Reduce tartar buildup on dogs teeth)
- Stain Remover (just in case you have accidents in the training process!)
- Sweaters and Jackets (optional)
- Pooper Scooper (You want to clean after your dog, and plastic bags are good for collecting)
- Grooming tools
- Nail Clippers
- Ear Cleaner (Cotton balls moistened with a mild solution of vinegar and water. Store also sells all kinds of ear-wipe products)
- Toothbrush & Toothpaste (optional)
- General- Basic information for new owners of their chosen purebred registered puppy (Dog-Owner Manuals included)
- Our Recommendations for you as a new owner:
Before you are ready to pick your new puppy up to become part of your family, we recommend that you do your homework and learn about the breed that you are adopting. This will help you to be a successful and happy owner. The more you know about your loved one, the easier it will be to make them happy! It is impossible to be fully prepared to live with your new dog but we want to be as prepared as you can be.
Our favorite place to recommend for training, if you are planning on professionally training your puppy, is PetSmart Training. (Visit www.petsmart.com)
Q: What kind of shampoo and conditioner we may use for our puppy?
A: We purchase our shampoos in PetSmart or any local stores. Shampoo or Odor Control shampoo concentrate . Wahl Natural Pet Odor Shampoo it is for thick dense coats, (Eucalyptus with Spearmint)
- Reduces odors
- Natural plant derived-100% Natural
Or you may use another good and simple product we recommend: Perfect Coat Natural Oatmeal Shampoo – French Vanilla
- 64 ounce Natural Oatmeal Dog Shampoo
- Contains natural oatmeal and microencapsulated liposomes
- Calms dry, itchy, and irritated skin
- Long-lasting french vanilla fragrance
Q: What type of dog food should we purchase for our puppy?
A: We use and recommend Life’s Abundance.